Can heart problems (high blood pressure) cause dental problems?

Not likely. Not likely that high blood pressure can cause dental problems. Diabetes can be a contributing factor in the development of periodontal (gum & bone) disease. Periodontal disease can be a contributing factor to heart disease. The inflammatory process can raise your c-reactive protein level contributing to heart disease.
Yes and no. High blood pressure itself don't cause dental problems. Some blood pressure medications, however, can have some oral side effects. Dry mouth (which can lead to an increased rate of tooth decay) is the #1 side effect of medications overall and BP meds are no exception. Calcium channel blockers such as Nifedipine can have some oral side effects as well.