If a blood test showed your kidneys were healthy why would a kidney ultrasound come back abnormal?

Blockage. Kidney ultrasounds evaluate blood flow into the kidney and urine flow out of the kidney. Often, kidney function can be preserved long after blood flow or urine output begins to deteriorate. Also ultrasounds can pick up cysts and tumors that blood tests don't.
Many reasons. There are many anatomical abnormalities of the kidney that dont necessarily cause kidney failure. See a urologist to sort it out.