Is it safe for me to stay on my vegan diet while I am pregnant?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Meet with dietician
If a woman follows any diet plan uncommon in the us, her physician may request that she keep a food diary and meet with a dietician.
To avoid lost time or disruption of a healthful eating pattern, it might be wise for a woman trying to conceive (ttc) or pregnant to begin the diary before seeing the OB provider. Then at the next visit referral to a registered dietician can be scheduled if needed.

In brief: Meet with dietician
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
2 comments
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Certain vitamins and minerals are difficult to obtain without milk, eggs or animal protein. consult
Dr. Kathleen Cullen
I believe a vegan diet is awesome...just make sure you are getting adequate folic acid.
Dr. Michael Rothman
In brief: Don't do this
The long term effect of a low fat, vegan diet is malnutrition.
Used for a short time (4-6 weeks) a low fat diet can be employed for weight loss. However, the long lerm effects of low fat diets are miserable. A low fat - high carb diet will lead to high Insulin levels, high triglcyerides, low hdl, metabolic syndrome and finally high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.

In brief: Don't do this
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Jane Van Dis