How does vaginal child birth lead to stress incontinence in women?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Damaged muscles

Childbirth can be traumatic to the muscles and nerves surrounding the bladder, vagina and rectum. The nerves can be damaged and small tears in the muscles can lead to prolapse and incontinence is some women.
It's nothing to be embarrassed about. It is common and fixable.

In brief: Damaged muscles

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Michael Hulse
Gynecology

In brief: Tissue damage.

As the baby passes through the birth canal it can cause damage to the supportive tissues around the vagina, bladder, urethra and rectum. In time this can lead to mobility in the urethra and leaking urine with certain activities.
It can also result in dropping or prolapse of the pelvic organs.

In brief: Tissue damage.

Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Pelvic relaxation

Vaginal delivery results in damage to the pelvic support that allows the bladder, urethra, uterus, rectum, and vagina to begin to drop in the pelvis.
Some women end up with the pelvic organs dropping out through the opening of the vagina. Some of them will require surgery to repair the damage and decrease the symptoms.

In brief: Pelvic relaxation

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Earle Pescatore

In brief: Yes it can

It is very common for women to experience stress incontinence following delivery.
It typically resolves within 3 months. I would encourage you to do kegel exercises daily. I usually suggest 3 sets of 10 squeezes, trying to hold each squeeze for 5 seconds. If it persists beyond this time frame i would encourage you to seek evaluation from your delivering provider.

In brief: Yes it can

Dr. Earle Pescatore
Dr. Earle Pescatore
Dr. Adam Smith