My mom just had a heart catch done. My sister called and said her ejection fracture is 65, heart functioning well and one side is more stiff than the other. Now i'm confused with all that being said. What could be causing the fluid retention, confusion an

Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: EJection fraction

Ejection fraction 65% is good.
But there may be another component, diastolic heart failure which can also produce leg edema, sob, fatigue etc. I presume heart cath was ok. Check with your doctor.

In brief: EJection fraction

Ejection fraction 65% is good.
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. John Szawaluk
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Stiff heart

Likely refers to what is called diastolic dysfunction .
This mmeans that the heart does not relax properly when filling with blood(frequently due to hypertension). This is common in elderly especially diabetics. It leads to higher presures in the heart and leads to breathlessness and fluid retention.

In brief: Stiff heart

Dr. John Szawaluk
Dr. John Szawaluk
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine