Will there be any advserse effect on my baby if I used retin a (tretinoin) 0.5mg for about the first 6 weeks of pregnancy on my face alone?

Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Emergency Medicine

In brief: YES!

In the beginning the embryo consists of just one cell which divides into two cells, they into 4, then 8 etc.
Early on any damage to a cell will have catastrophic results because if is one of the first 4 cells then 1/4 of the whole body would not develop. Damage done this early brings about a miscarriage. Later on when the baby has all its parts then damage to a cell leads to defects in that part.

In brief: YES!

Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Let me clarify something. The consequences of damage to even one cell of the embryo during the first few weeks of gestation are generally catastrophic. The corollary to this is that even if exposed to known teratogens like Retin A, if the fetus survives to the tenth week, then it likely wasn't damaged by the offending drug. It's not possible to have a minor effect on the developing fetus early on.

In brief: Doubt it

We know oral preparations of this drug can have negative effects, which gives us caution.
However, the skin preparations are a class C drug in pregnancy. This means they have no controlled studies on the issue to give it a better rating. Since skin application does not lead to a significant blood level, it is unlikely to cause problems.

In brief: Doubt it

Dr. Joseph Cohen

In brief: No

It should probably be avoided once you found out you're pregnant, just to be safe.
However oral forms of iso-tretenoin are very dangerous to your fetus and should be avoided.

In brief: No

Dr. Joseph Cohen
Dr. Joseph Cohen
Dr. Shontae Buffington