I was diagnosed with nephritis over 10 years ago, can I have children & will my child inherit this disease from me?

Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Depends

There are a number of kidney diseases under the heading of "nephritis.
" two common nephritis in children, poststrep glomerulonephritis and IgA nephropathy, are fairly benign conditions and are not inheritable.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Discuss with OB

The advisability of any pregnancy is more a question for someone who knows you well and the impact that added stress would have on your health.
If you recovered from a transient condition, pregnancy risks may be minimal, if a chronic disease, maybe not.Your pcp, obgyn or nephrologist, may be the best source for your question.

In brief: Discuss with OB

Dr. Shontae Buffington