Can kidney transplant patients keep cats in their homes?

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

Although your body is immunocompromised due to the anti-rejection medications, it is still safe to keep cats in the home.
I would suggest keeping the cats away the first 3 months after transplant as that is when you are must at risk for an infection.

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Atul Singh

In brief: Maybe

Don't handle the cat feces they can cause a infection called Toxoplasmosis.
DONT HANDLE CAT LITTER!! Most patients in the months after transplant are on a medicine to prevent toxo, but once off it, you a risk. Hope this helps.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. Atul Singh

Interesting question since there is a disease called "cat scratch fever.
" while immunsuppressed patients should be prudent, known domestic pets are fine. Of course you would want to keep the cat's claws trimmed and avoid bites or scratches. Perhaps don't volunteer to clean the kitty litter right away. But pets are usually safe with good judgement.

Dr. Stuart Flechner
Dr. Stuart Flechner
Dr. Ralph Layman
Surgery - Transplant

I usually suggest that my patients have someone else clean the litter box but it is ok to have cats in the home.

Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Ralph Layman