If I already know I have a kidney stone is it necessary to have a CT scan?

In brief: Possibly

If you know you have a kidney stone, a ct scan is not necessary unless symptoms develop.
If the person remians asymptomatic, periodic imaging with ultrasound or other x-rays are adequate. However, small stones may be missed on these studies and a ct scan may be required to locate the stone.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Moez Khorsandi
Dr. Moez Khorsandi
Dr. David Dang
Radiology

In brief: Talk to a doctor.

Talk to your doctor or a urologist.
Depending on your symptoms and location of the stones, you may or may not need surveillance of the stone. Some stones are seen well on xray but others may need ct.

In brief: Talk to a doctor.

Talk to your doctor or a urologist.
Dr. David Dang
Dr. David Dang
Dr. Steven Seres