If my upper leg is itchy, how do I know if it is a fungus and should treat like that or a rash and treat with cortisone?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Difficult to say…

Without seeing the rash or knowing its location fungus (tinea) would tend to affect groin, both sides, unless rash is circular in shape w/ raised edge & more normal center (ringworm) does rash have blisters (like poison ivy) or just flat? Any metal/rubber contact with rash area (contact dermatitis).
Have fp take a look at it to get better idea what cause might be.

In brief: Difficult to say…

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ashu Syal
Pediatrics - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Itchy rash in groin

The site of the lesion makes me suspect-- ' jock itch' which is a fungal infection.
Need to see your pcp to make the right diagnosis. Remember using steroids on fungal infection can make it worst.

In brief: Itchy rash in groin

Dr. Ashu Syal
Dr. Ashu Syal