How can a CT scan tell if you have a kidney stone or cancer or something else?

It shows the kidney. The ct scan that is typically done to look for kidney stones is done without any intravenous contrast. Almost all stones show up easily on ct scan. Renal masses typically show on a non-contrasted ct but they may not be able to tell if it is a cancer or not. The ct also shows other organs in the abdomen and a mass or cancer may be visible on the study.
Great look at anatom. A ct scan provides a great look at the anatomy of the area scanned. If contrast is used, it can also show areas of differing blood flow. A ct displays differences in density with an axial resolution of a millimeter or better.