What is the typical prognosis for renal artery stenosis?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Depends on type

Young people are different than older ones.
The disease is slowly progressive esp in the atherosclerotic variety usually in older patients. So, newer research suggests that observation is equivalent to aggressive intervenion in most cases due to similar outcomes.

In brief: Depends on type

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Renal artery stenose

38 F from CA. asks What is the typical prognosis for renal artery stenosis.
ANS: There is no typical prognosis ss there are many causes & locations. I have specialized in this f4or 50 years. If u do 2nd opinion we can get more information & I can b more specific. FYI: many with normal BP have RAS so just having RAS does not mean it is causing HBP. You need to see a HTN specialist.

In brief: Renal artery stenose

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim

In brief: Fair

If symptomatic, will, require intervention or surgery with generally good results for atherosclerotic etiology.
However, most have other risk factors for coronary and PVD which impact the long term.

In brief: Fair

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright