3 doctors weighed in:

Is it safe to be exposed to lead paint while pregnant?

3 doctors weighed in
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Please don't

Lead is very toxic to the nerves and to the brain.
In adults it usually just causes injury to the peripheral nerves. In infants and children it can cause severe injury to brain cells. Infants crawling on and chewing on paint chips have developed brain swelling to the point of death. Children exposed to gas fumes with lead show learning problems. Do not take chances.

In brief: Please don't

Lead is very toxic to the nerves and to the brain.
In adults it usually just causes injury to the peripheral nerves. In infants and children it can cause severe injury to brain cells. Infants crawling on and chewing on paint chips have developed brain swelling to the point of death. Children exposed to gas fumes with lead show learning problems. Do not take chances.
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Thank
Dr. Erin Alward
Obstetrics & Gynecology

In brief: No

Lead based paint was commonly used prior to the 1970s.
It can cause lead poisoning and mental retardation. Avoid old paints or sanding and scraping of old paints. New latex based paints are generally considered safe in well ventilated areas.

In brief: No

Lead based paint was commonly used prior to the 1970s.
It can cause lead poisoning and mental retardation. Avoid old paints or sanding and scraping of old paints. New latex based paints are generally considered safe in well ventilated areas.
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Erin Alward
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Board Certified, Neurology
48 years in practice
55M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors