What exactly is a renal ultrasound study?

Using sound waves . Renal us uses sound waves to pass through the tissues to make black and white images of the kidney tissue and urinary bladder. It is painless and uses no dye. It takes about 20 minutes to perform and is interpretted by a licsenced doctor called a radiologist.
Radiology test. A renal ultrasound is a diagnostic radiology test performed by an ultrasonographer or radiologist. It uses sound waves at various frequencies to create pictures of internal organs and other parts of the body. The benefit of ultrasound is it is non-invasive and does not expose the patient to radiation.