Define real rape?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: "Real" rape

Rape is forced sexual intercourse, often under threat of injury.
Both men and women -- and children also -- can be raped. And despite rep. Todd akin's recent comments about so-called "legitimate" rape, it can result in pregnancy.

In brief: "Real" rape

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: I have received

Hundred's of hours of training in assessment of sex offenders, domestic violence, etc , but I am not familiar with the term "real rape".
This terminology immediately questions the credibility of the person reporting a rape. I looked in 7 separate dictionaries ; was unable to find the term "real rape".

In brief: I have received

Dr. Pamela Pappas
There is not such a term, but I believed the patient might have been referring to Rep. Todd Akin's ignorant [to me, anyway] comments about what he called "legitimate" rape. Yes, I agree this kind of term questions the credibility of the person reporting the rape. Too many people have been treated this way by police, attorneys, and even some medical personnel.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Forced sex

Rape is the imposition of sexual activity upon a victim either consciously unwilling, or unconsciously unable to resist the activity of the rapist.
Note that the sex of the victim, while more often woman, is not in that definition since rape can occur across sexual barriers.

In brief: Forced sex

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger

In brief: InvoluntaryInsertion

Rape is involuntary insertion of anything into a body opening (mouth, vagina, anus).
There is also having been mistreated, which is not acceptable under any circumstances. Reach out for support, if you have been mistreated in any way.

In brief: InvoluntaryInsertion

Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Eric Levin

In brief: Question is unclear

I am not an expert in sexual violence.
I don't know the context where 'real rape' has been used. For the definition of rape i would refer to the international legal definition. Enter the question into any search engine and plenty of clarification will be presented. Perhaps somewhere something akin to 'real rape' will be discussed. Maybe it is a reference to delusional thinking vs. Documented act?

In brief: Question is unclear

I am not an expert in sexual violence.
Dr. Eric Levin
Dr. Eric Levin
Pathology

In brief: Under the law

I suspect the questioner simply wants the definition.
The fbi defines it as "the penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim." force or other duress may be used, or the person may not be able to consent due to age, disability, intoxication or illness.

In brief: Under the law

Neither gender has a monopoly on good / evil. "Sexual assault" covers a range of wrongdoing apart from rape. The vast majority of men will take immediate action to protect a woman that they perceive to be in danger, and a guilty rapist in prison is despised almost as much as a child molester. Today's savvy man protects himself and makes loving better by asking permission for each step.