When I have surgery, will the surgeon and anesthesiologist see me first?

Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology

In brief: Yes, sort of.

If this is an outpatient procedure you will have seen the surgeon already and then you will see the anesthesiolgist the morning of surgery.
Some facilities have the patients come in before to see the nurse or anesthesia person in the pre-anesthesia clinic. If in the hospital you may see the surgeon before or in the preop area where you will also see the anesthesiologist.

In brief: Yes, sort of.

Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

The anesthesiologist will want to meet you and discuss your health and medical problems.
Together you will plan your anesthetic. Once this is done your surgeon will come and make sure you do not have any last minute questions.

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Peter Kurzweil