I am on peritoneal dialysis and sometimes the effluent smells funny, why is this?

Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: See below

It is after all bodily fluid.
Have it examined by your nurse or doctor if it is cloudy it is possibly an infection.

In brief: See below

It is after all bodily fluid.
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Fred McCurdy
Pediatrics - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Peritoneal Dialysis

I've been thinking about your question for some time.
The only thing i can think of is that this is either due to something you've eaten. Abnormal odor of the dialysate can mean infection, but there should be cloudy fluid and/or blood in the effluent. I would recommend talking with your doctor about getting a culture of your dialysate along with a cell count and microscopic exam of the fluid.

In brief: Peritoneal Dialysis

Dr. Fred McCurdy
Dr. Fred McCurdy