What if I need dialysis but I have a fear of needles?

Dr. Anthony Cusano
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Dialysis and needles
There is a form of dialysis that is done without needles using a catheter in the belly.
Also, I have had many patients who feared needles but were able to adapt to the necessary needle sticks of hemodialysis. It will take effort, but it is well worthwhile.

In brief: Dialysis and needles
Dr. Anthony Cusano
Dr. Anthony Cusano
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
In brief: See below
Consider doing peritoneal dialysis/ bloodless dialysis.
A small plastic tube is inserted in the abdomen as a outpatient. After it heals in about 2-3 weeks you have to connect to a bad of fluid and instill into the abdomen, after leaving it in for sometime, and then letting it drain, allows elimination of waste from the bloodstream to be eliminated as well.Many advantages, done at home after training.

In brief: See below
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Adrian Baudy IV
There are numerous benefits (besides the fear of needles) to peritoneal dialysis.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: CBT for some works
In contrast to other forms of psychotherapy, cognitive therapy is usually more focused on the present, more time-limited, and more problem-solving oriented.
In addition, patients learn specific skills that they can use for the rest of their lives. These skills involve identifying distorted thinking, modifying beliefs, relating to others in different ways, and changing behaviors.

In brief: CBT for some works
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Jean Robey
In brief: Needle phobia
You are young and possibly a candidate for peritoneal dialysis.
Additionally your fear may be overcomed as you realize the needles can be inserted painlessly. Finally for the extremely rare exception you may dialyze with a catheter but the risk of infection is high. Please discuss peritoneal dialysis and transplant options with your doctor and still get a fistula created.

In brief: Needle phobia
Dr. Jean Robey
Dr. Jean Robey
Dr. Vicken Poochikian