Is it safe to have lasik eye surgery while pregnant?

Dr. Jay Pepose
Ophthalmology

In brief: No.

Hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause changes in the shape of the cornea, just as they allow ligaments in the body to relax, resulting in fluctuating vision before or after lasik.
Dry eye also is more common during pregnancy and this has been associated with regression of the laser effect. Many doctors give valium preop and steroids drops postop, which may not be optimal during pregnancy.

In brief: No.

Dr. Jay Pepose
Dr. Jay Pepose
Dr. John Jarstad
I agree with Dr Pepose, we do not recommend elective LASIK surgery until 6 weeks after a new mom is finished nursing - so that time frame should be considered in planning LASIK surgery
Dr. David Zisow

In brief: No

Lasik is "safe" from the perspective of risks of harm to the mother or fetus but, "will the procedure be effective"? Pregnancy is associated with visual accuity changes related to fluid retention and corneal edema.
Elective vision correction surgery is best done in a baseline non-pregnant condition to achieve long term good results. More than "what meets the eye" must be considered here.

In brief: No

Dr. David Zisow
Dr. David Zisow
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: No

No. Prescription is not stable due to high circulating hormone levels.
Wait 6-8 weeks after delivery and breastfeeding is complete.

In brief: No

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not recommended

I agree with dr. Pepose.
I would not recommend it during pregnancy for any member of my family.

In brief: Not recommended

I agree with dr. Pepose.
Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. Majid Moshirfar
During pregnancy and while breast feeding. Please wait until your menstrual cycles return to its baseline prior to your pregnancy.

Its safe, but i don't think any opthalmologist would do it.

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Richard Witlin
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: No

would recommend you wait until after your pregnancy is completed.

In brief: No

Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery