Is hyperbaric oxygen therapy effective for sports injuries?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: It might

It is a very expensive trreatment but its greatest benefit is treating spinal injury asap.
Read my blog "oxygen, the spark of life" you can google. Oxygen is the very root of energy metabolism and a great deal of energy is required for healing. But, like everything else, it has to be dosed. Too much oxygen is as bad as too little.

In brief: It might

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Life evolved first to tolerate oxygen long before it evolved the mechnism to thrive in oxygen. Its best to think of oxygen as a toxin that we adapted to, then evolved the mechnism to use for more efficient energy production, rather than something that can be used as a health supplement.
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: No proof

While many sports teams have taken to putting their highly paid athletes in hyperbaric chambers, to my knowledge, there is no definite proof that hbot has any beneficial effect on sports injuries or speeds up the healing time for ligament sprains or muscle strains.
If you do find proof, i would be curious to read it. Many claims are made about hbot, but studies are few and far between.

In brief: No proof

Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Dr. Martin Tyson
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Possibly

Hbo does have the benefit of creating new blood vessel growth into affected areas, reducing swelling and inflammation, enhancing collagen formation etc and so could be a potential adjunct depending on the injury, however tough to get insurance company approval for such.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Martin Tyson
Dr. Martin Tyson
Dr. Arnon Rubin