How long can a person really survive on dialysis?

Dr. Jared Fialkow
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Dialysis
I have taken care of patients who have been on dialysis for over 20 years.
It really depends on the patient and how well they manage their multiple diseases. It requires care by the patient and the physician but there is no limit as to how long someone can survive on dialysis.

In brief: Dialysis
Dr. Jared Fialkow
Dr. Jared Fialkow
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
In brief: See below
The survival is variable depending on age, the disease which caused the kidney to fail, other comorbidities such as heart disease, and diabetes.
I have seen patients on dialysis for 20 years, but overall depending on above factors it is not as much.

In brief: See below
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Dr. Marsha Davis