How effective is amino acid therapy for someone on abdominal peritoneal dialysis?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Not effective
Would not try Amino Acid supplements in dialysis-dependent people.
I am not sure of the wisdom of it in non-dialysis patients either. No documented evidence that it provides real benefit and it may provide significant side effects.

In brief: Not effective
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Camilo Barcenas
In brief: Best to take protein
Peritoneal dialysis patients lose a fair amount of protein and Amino Acids in the peritoneal fluid with this modality of therapy.
So it is best if they supplement their diet with a substantial amount of high quality protein. Pure Amino Acids are likely to be expensive and a good diet with adequate protein supplements would do the same job.

In brief: Best to take protein
Dr. Camilo Barcenas
Dr. Camilo Barcenas
Dr. Steven Seres