Can I live as normal lifestyle while on kidney dialysis with work, family, vacations etc.?

Dr. Fred McCurdy
Pediatrics - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Lifestyle and ESRD

Yes your can, but there is a bit more planning that has to be done.
I urge you to go the the national kidney foundation website at www.Kidney.Org because there is whole bunch of great information about dialysis and lifestyle when you have kidney disease. I consider this website to be authentic and reliable.

In brief: Lifestyle and ESRD

Dr. Fred McCurdy
Dr. Fred McCurdy
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Close to it

Adjustments in your lifestyle will occur if you begin dialysis.
However with enough preparation and coordiantion wth your doctor, social worker, and family, then you can still work and go on vacations with your family. If you control over these idssues, then you may consider home hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.

In brief: Close to it

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Linda Gromko
Having assisted my husband with hemo AND peritoneal dialysis for several years, I would recommend that you look into peritoneal dialysis. It's quite simple; you can dialyze at work or overnight while you sleep. For hemodialysis patients, there's a cruise company that offers dialysis at sea! There are many things people do to make this process more user-friendly. If you are a transplant candidate, this may be your best option. Good luck. LGromkoMD
Dr. Vicken Poochikian