Can teeth be pulled without a root canal?

Extractions. Yes. Teeth can be pulled at any time; however, you should consider what to do about the missing tooth. Just pulling teeth without a plan could cause problems later on with your bite. Man made products are never as good as your own natural tooth so saving teeth if possible is best unless the tooth is beyond repair.
Yes. Yes, this is not a problem. A tooth can be safely removed without have a root canal done prior to removal.
Yes. The other alternative to a root canal is to have the tooth "pulled". A cheaper option but saving the tooth with a root canal is usually the best way to go.