I have chronic kidney disease, what can I do to prevent my potassium levels from getting too high?

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Low K diet

Potassium is a chemical element that is needed for many metabolic processes like cellular function in the human body.
People with ckd are at risk for developing higher levels of potassium because the damaged kidney can not excrete as much potassium as a normal kidney. Should try to avoid high potassium foods like bananas, tomatoes or orange juice.

In brief: Low K diet

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Agree, also potatoes, squash/zuchini, and melons are rich in potassium. The problem with tomatoes is actually more crucial in concentrated tomatoes e.g. ketchup, tomato sauce and paste, and V8.
Dr. Lane Childs
Urology

In brief: Diet mod

Follow with a nephrologist who can help modify your diet and follow you closely.

In brief: Diet mod

Dr. Lane Childs
Dr. Lane Childs
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
High potassium with CKD can occur from ACE inhibitors and ARBs, from diet high in potassium foods, from beta blockers, from diabetes out of control. Low potassium diet is essential. Balancing meds safely is essential. Review with your nephrologist and dietitian.