Can controlled diabetes damage your kidney, eye or heart?

Yes. Diabetes can damage several organs even if diabetes is strictly controlled. However the complications are delayed for several years and are easier to manage. It is prudent to visit your primary care physician on a regular basis so that diabetic complications can be detected at early stage.
Diabetic problems. Diabetic complications are primarily affected by two causes, hypertension and glucose control. The uk prospective diabetic study showed that patients with controlled blood pressure had a lower percentage of diabetic eye and kidney disease than those who had better glucose control. It is important to control glucose levels in diabetic patients and it is even more important to control their bp.
Yes. Control of diabetes markedly reduces risk of damage to these organs, but does not eliminate risk.