What is an emg and nerve conduction test for?

Nerves & muscles. Emg and nerve conduction studies are used to detect abnormalities of nerves and muscles. The test evaluates nerve roots as they exit your spine, the nerve plexus, peripheral nerves, the nerve-muscle junction, and muscle itself. It can detect pinched/compressed nerves (sciatica, carpal tunnel, and others), muscle disorders, neuropathy, and many other neuromuscular conditions.
Nerve & muscle dis. An EMG is used to evaluate muscle fuction, and neuromuscular transmission. It can differentiate inflammatory, post inflammatory disorders etc. From the more chronic degenerative myopathies. Ncs evaluates nerve transmission. It is used to localize sites of compression/trauma, can assist in the determination of types of neuropathy, and provides prognosis in disorders such as bell's palsy & gbs.