How many treatments are typically needed for laser hair removal?

Depends on Area. Hair cycles at different rates in different body areas and this will effect the length of time needed to treat an area. Laser hair removal only works on the hair that is in the active growth phase.
4-6 in Lighter skin. Lighter skin types 1-4 including hispanics are well treated in 4-6 sessions with am alexandrite laser, 755 wavelength candela, and cynosure are manufacturers that feature alexandrite lasers. The candela has a unique cooling system that males the treatments comfortable and has been on the market for about 7 years.
7 treatmetns or more. With the standard lasers, such as a diode laser and the double frequency neodynium yag laser, 7, 8 or more treatments four to six weeks apart may be necessary to get a significant amount of hair reduction. Newer technology such as the light sheer duet, might need less treatments.
Varies. The industry standard in laser hair removal will say six treatments to reduce hair. I think it depends on the type of hair, the density, the texture, your skin type, the technician experience and laser. I think 8-12 is a better estimate. White skin can see up to 80-90% reduction over time and brown skin can see 65-75% over time in a compliant patient with no pco's.
4-12. Depends on the person and on the laser. The laser can only treat the hair that is actively growing. Your body does make new hair over time and the laser cannot treat the hair that is not there yet, therefore, maintenance treatments are necessary once or twice a year after the initial series of 4 to 12 treatments. Treatments are typically 4-12 weeks apart.
4-8. Human hair grows in cycles; some hairs are actively growing, while others are resting in a dormant phase. Hair removal lasers will destroy the hairs that are in the active growing phase, but the resting phase hair follicles will not be affected. For this reason, it is necessary to treat an area at least 4-8 times with the treatments spaced 6-8 weeks apart in order to see the best results.
5. Treatments can vary but most patients require at least 5 treatments to achieve the best results.