What is epilepsy?

Risk for seizures. Epilepsy is a clinical condition of a risk for seizures. Most common is symptomatic epilepsy in which a scar focus or metabolic disorder or genetic condition is the cause. Many epilepsies are called ideopathic because no definite cause can be found. Detailed history, thorough neurological examination, eeg, brain imaging, and genetic and metabolic evaluations may be appropriate.
Seizure Condition. Epilepsy is a condition where an individual has more than one unprovoked epileptic seizure. There are many different types of seizures, so one person's seizure may look different than other. People with epilepsy usually have an abnormal eeg consistent with that. Some forms are genetic; others may be due to head trauma, infection, or stroke. It is treatable with medication and surgery.