What can be done for severe back pain following an epidural during labor?

Time. Usually the back pain is not related to the epidural but to the labor and delivery of the baby. The back pain usually resolves, whether its from the delivery or from the insertion and infusion of the epidural in several weeks to months.
Depends. It depends in part on the length and severity of the pain as well as the underlying cause. Many simple cases are treated with rest and medications, more involved cases are often treatd with physical therapy or chiropractic. Imaging the spine to aid in the diagnosis is oftened used for potentially more aggressive options. Thank you.