Are tummy tucks (witch hazel) painful?

Dr. Andres Taleisnik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Moderately painful

Any surgery that involves cutting or sewing muscle tends to be somewhat painful.
Most tummy tucks (witch hazel) will also include muscle tightening. Patients generally manage the pain quite well with a medication such as vicodin. I've never had a patient tell me that the pain was so significant that she regrets having the surgery.

In brief: Moderately painful

Dr. Andres Taleisnik
Dr. Andres Taleisnik
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Not very

with the use of newer pain management options placed at the time of surgery

In brief: Not very

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes but Varies

Generally speaking, most tummy tuck operations involve “repair” of the abdominal wall muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss.
Because of this “muscle work”, these operations tend to be quite uncomfortable for the first few days. Occasionally, patients do not require muscle plication; these patients tend to have less discomfort postoperatively. I hope this helps.

In brief: Yes but Varies

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Joseph Minniti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not necessarily

Tummy tuck surgery usually involves sewing up the muscles, flattening the abdominal wall, and this is the most painful part.
Many surgeons use a post operative anesthetic pump that bathes the muscle with numbing medicine, making the discomfort after surgery much less. The pump is empty at 3 days, but the numbing effect lasts for the duration of recovery.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Joseph Minniti
Dr. Joseph Minniti
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes..

I'm told by my patients that it's similar to a c section.

In brief: Yes..

Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Alex Lechtman