Are breast cancer and leukemia hereditary?

In brief: Some

Some cases of breast cancer genetic mutations brca i and ii , her 2 some breast cancer run in families.
In leukemias not enough proof of genetic mutations as in breast cancer ( I do not know ) how ever leukemias run in family members, especially cll and AML , may not be genetic, could be environmental.

In brief: Some

CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemias) is unique among the common leukemias in having no known familial tendency, and being the effect simply of dumb luck. If there are any risk factors, they remain elusive to real science. The others tend to run with Down's, ataxia-telangiectasia carrier state, and a few obscure illnesses.
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Sometimes

Most breast cancers and most leukemias are not hereditary but there are hereditary types of both.
Families that have breast cancer, leukemia, and sarcomas may have a rare genetic abnormality called li fraumeni syndrome. If you are concerned seek out a genetic counselor or high risk breast specialist.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery