What's worse, an incision and drainage or the actual root canal?

Neither. You would not be condidering either unless you had pain. Whichever is indicated will make you feel better. Sometimes the area can be drained through the tooth during the root canl process. If the infection is advanced it may require an incision as well.
Neither too bad. Neither of these procedures are that bad. Incision and drainage might be a little more uncomfortable because it is difficult to get the area numb with that much infection present. But once the i & d is performed, you will feel immediate relief from the pain and pressure. Root canal is a very comfortable procedure for most patients. Some people feel a little claustrophobic from rubber dam, etc.