How do I know if my baby is getting enough milk?

Dr. Bert Mandelbaum

In brief: Gaining weight

The two most objective ways to make sure that your infant is getting enough breast milk are to ensure that they are gaining weight and urinating frequently.
Most infants gain between a half ounce to an ounce a day during the first few months. They also urinate with most feeds (6-8 times per day). So relax, most infants gain weight beautifully, but if you are concerned, speak to your doctor.

In brief: Gaining weight

Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Gregg Alexander

In brief: Look for these...

Look for signs of hydration, like good urine output, most mouth and eyes, tears with crying.
Also, look for adequate stools. Babies who are getting adequate milk (and who are otherwise well) usually seem satisfied after feedings, have adequate alert, awake periods, and grow normally along standard growth curves.

In brief: Look for these...

Dr. Gregg Alexander
Dr. Gregg Alexander