Can tattoos cause keloids?

Yes. Keloids are caused by skin injury in susceptible people. While piercing is one of the most common causes, tattoos (due the injury caused by the needle) are also common. In addition, some people can have excessive reactions to certain tattoo pigments which can lead to scarring.
Not safe. Tattooing can cause keloids. Avoid! Keloids & hypertrophic scars are basically treated the same initially: silicone tape/gel (myscaraway, from walgreens/online). If these don't help, see your dr for steroid/bleomyvin injections, or external electron-beam radiotherapy. Do not let anyone cut it out if keloid confirmed, it will simply grow larger!
Yes. Any injury to the skin, even minor ones, can cause keloids in someone prone to their formation. Piercings are a common area where keloids are found. I always check ear piercings before surgery to see how my patients heal. If a keloid can form from a single needle puncture, imagine what can happen with tattoos. Tattoos require hundreds of needle punctures (though not quite as deep.).