What are the pros and cons of a breast reduction?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Many

Breast reduction is one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.
Pros include improvement of neck/back/shoulder discomfort, improvement of bra strap grooving/posture and/or improvements with skin breakdown/rashes/infections. Downside include scarring, potential for loss of nipple/areola sensation or ability to breast-feed, and other “standard” risks associated with surgery.

In brief: Many

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Pros and Cons

The pros are that a breast reduction alleviates whatever concerns the patient has (back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, physical limitations, self-image issues) while the biggest con is typically the scar, though other cons would be possible risks and complications (as with any surgical procedure).

In brief: Pros and Cons

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Dr. Paul Vitenas
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Very satisfying

The advantages of a breast reduction are lessback and neck pain from large pendulous breasts.
I have seen many patients still breast feed after a breast reduction.

In brief: Very satisfying

Dr. Paul Vitenas
Dr. Paul Vitenas
Dr. Elliot Duboys
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Your comfort

Pros and cons are relative and depend upon the individual.
If you are troubled by large breasts, back, shoulder and neck pain - you might want to consider breast reduction. The cons are that it is surgery, with potential complications, albeit minimal if done by the proper surgeon. I would suggest selecting the services of a board certified plastic surgeon. Check out your surgeon's credentials!

In brief: Your comfort

Dr. Elliot Duboys
Dr. Elliot Duboys