What is polycystic kidney diease (pkd)?

Inherited disease. Polycystic kidney disease is an inherited disorder of the kidneys, where numerous numbers of cysts form throughout both, making them appear large & irregular. It is estimated to affect 1 in every 1000. Many cases are clinically silent, & the diagnosis is usually made with ultrasound though definitive diagnosis is made with genetic testing. Long term, hypertension & kidney failure are consequences.
Further to Dr. Kimm. 2 types of polycystic kidney disease, adult or autosomal dominant PKD & infantile or autosomal recessive pkd. Former usually presents later in life & 50% of offspring will inherit & is manageable. Latter inherited from both carrier, non-affected parents much >serious, often result in miscarriage or early death if not suitable $ transplant. Neither to be confused with multicystic dysplastic kidneys.