What are the different stages of bed sore development?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Stages Pressure Sore

There are six stages of pressure injury.
I refer you to www.Npuap.Org. There are stages i to iv, unable to stage and deep tissue injury. The stages are not necessarily progressive especially with those wounds associated with deep tissue injury.

In brief: Stages Pressure Sore

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Robert Keller
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Redness

Bed sores or compression ulcers begin as a red irritation area.
This is due to lack of oxygen and inflammation. Then the area begins to appear slightly white due to lack of blood flow. Then the area begins to break down and look like a blister forming. Now the skin begins to peel and the sore looks like a cheese pizza. Now, if infection sets in it appears hot and angry.

In brief: Redness

Dr. Robert Keller
Dr. Robert Keller