How do I know if I should supplement my breast milk with formula?

In brief: No

After a baby has learned to be a good breastfeeder, it is ok to supplement breastfeeding with formula.
However, supplementation is not needed unless the baby is very hungry after breastfeeding and cannot wait until the next breastfeeding; or unless the baby is not gaining weight properly.

In brief: No

In brief: Only infants...

...Who fail to gain weight properly on both direct-from-breast and pumped milk should be supplemented.

In brief: Only infants...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky

In brief: No

If you want to exclusively breast feed your baby then you do not have to supplement at any time.
However, if you are having any difficulties despite care/help from your pediatrician and/or lactation consultant, or want to supplement, do not hesitate to feed your baby.

In brief: No

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Lisa Roberts

In brief: Baby is still hungry

If you are concerned that your baby seems to be very hungry after nursing (especially early on when your milk supply is not fully in), it may be reasonable to supplement with some formula.
Another sign could be a low number of wet diapers. In the first few days, your baby may not be making many wet diapers, but by a week of age you can expect about 6-8 per 24 hrs. Poor weight gain is also a sign.

In brief: Baby is still hungry

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Shontae Buffington