What happens in dysplastic nevus syndrome?

Close monitoring. Dysplastic nevus syndrome is a condition in which the person has many (often 100's) atypical moles. With the syndrome, one has a higher risk of developing malignant melanoma, which is a high risk skin cancer. For this reason, frequent and close monitoring with self skin checks and routinely by a dermatologist is a must.
Dysplastic nevus . Patients with dysplastic nevus syndrome have a large number of normal and atypical (dysplastic) moles. There is a strong inherited trait for the development of malignant melanoma. Those affected and their family members should be carefully and closely followed by a dermatologist. Some atypical moles may develop into melanoma. In other cases melanoma may develop on otherwise normal skin.