My wife suffering knee joint problem, age42, advise for replacement, latest advancement?

Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine

In brief: Ouch!

42 is very young for a tka.
May be indicated though. Things to try to delay are: weight loss; glucosamine/chondrotin; viscoelastic and/or steroid injections; nsaid's. Also, partial vs total replacement? Have very experienced surgeon. Advances for uncemented, mis or custom knee blocks with long lasting polyethelene inserts. Good luck.

In brief: Ouch!

42 is very young for a tka.
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Roger Palutsis
2 comments
Dr. Tariq Niazi
I agree that at 42 she is too young for a replacement. Dr Palutsis has nicely noted the alternatives. I might suggest to get her checked for causes of knee pain other than the knee, like the spine or the hip joint, as many times there is possibility of associated lesions in those sites which need to be investigated & treated.
Dr. Tariq Niazi
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Options

At a young age you need a proper diagnosis before you make a permanent change to your knee joint with a replacement.
If you do have one it is even more important to have it installed as close to perfect as possible. That is the main factor for a good long term outcome. Definately look into makoplasty robotic partial knee replacement before moving ahead with total knee at her age. Send x-rays.

In brief: Options

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not really

Joint replacement studies take many years to perform and it is difficult to know long term outcomes.
We always believe that the newest thing is better, but it is difficult to prove. For knee replacements in younger patients, there have not been any proven significant advances. There are new.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine