How do I choose a pre-natal vitamin?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Many good ones but..

There are many good prenatal vitamins.
One of the most important ingredients is folic acid, proven to prevent neural tube defects, but I have become aware of research suggesting that synthetic Folic Acid may increase breast cancer risk. Safest choice may be one that provides the natural 5-mthf form of folate such as basic prenatal by thorne research and prenatal pro by designs for health.

In brief: Many good ones but..

There are many good prenatal vitamins.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: The one you like

There are hundreds of brands of prenatal vitamins.
My suggestion to patients is to try a few and find one you like. The best vitamin is the one you will actually take. All contain Folic Acid which is important. Some contain stool softeners which is helpful for pregnancy constipation. Some contain dha so you do not have to take a separate pill.

In brief: The one you like

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham