My recent cholesterol tests 189. Hdl 43 LDL 127. My md says this is "excellent" and does not recommend medication. Do you agree? I am a 67 yo male

Pathology

In brief: Other risk factors

The lipid profile is good.
Do you have other risk factors, such as, smoking, overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure, family history of heart disease? If you do not have any of these risk factors, you are okay. You may wish to exercise, after discussion with your doctor, to raise your hdl.

In brief: Other risk factors

The lipid profile is good.
Dr. Gregory Seagraves
Pharmacology

The only thing i'd suggest is to exercise in order to get the HDL (good cholesterol) up.

Dr. Gregory Seagraves
Dr. Gregory Seagraves
Dr. Carlos Orrego
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Risk factors

If you do not have other cardiovascular risk factors such as smoking, diabetes, hypertension, family history of coronary heart disease, obesity or atherosclerosis that number is good and your are considerd low risk.
You will need to continue following a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

In brief: Risk factors

Dr. Carlos Orrego
Dr. Carlos Orrego
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine