My mom who has been in hosp for 29 days now has copd, CHF and is a diabetic.. She's having a heart catherterzation tomorrow. What are the risk? Should I be there for this?

Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Yes,

You should be there for this if it is possible.
Your mom sounds pretty sick and no doubt could use the support. Heart catheterizations are very common but do carry some risk, especially when the person having it done is sick to begin with.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Cardiac cath

Cardiac cath is generally a safe procedure done under local anesthesia and mild sedation.
In healthier patients major complications occur 1 in 10, 000 frequency, since your mother has other comorbidities, her risk may be higher. Common complication, are bleeding, infection, arrhythmias, heart attacks etc.

In brief: Cardiac cath

Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology