How do I know if I am producing enough milk?

Dr. Colton Bradshaw
In brief: Count wet diapers
Almost every new mother questions if she is feeding her baby enough milk.
Since breasts don't come with gauges we must confirm adequacy by secondary measures: is baby making more than 3-4 wet diapers per day? Is baby satisfied after a feeding? Is there adequate weight gain during the well baby checkups? While baby is feeding at one breast is the other leaking? Does baby sleep well after feeding?

In brief: Count wet diapers
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Dr. FLORENCE NNEBE
In brief: Useful cues include
Several cues that will help you determine if your milk production is adequate include; a sense of fullness of the breast which feels lighter after feeds, as much as 6 wet diapers and at least 4 seedy stools in a day, hearing baby swallow milk and seeing some milk around mouth during feeds, loss of hunger cues after baby has fed and lastly age appropriate weight gain are simple cues.

In brief: Useful cues include
Dr. FLORENCE NNEBE
Dr. FLORENCE NNEBE