What should I look for in an anti-fungal cream to treat athlete's foot?

In brief: Lamisil (terbinafine) or Lotrimin

These are the two topical antifungal medications recommended by a lot of doctors.
Follow the directions and use for the prescribed treatment times. If they do not work see a podiatrist or dermatologist.

Dr. Joseph Newman
Dr. Joseph Newman

In brief: To start with...

The best otc medication (in my opinion) is lotrimin (clotrimazole) ultra.
Socks should be a synthetic material (i know i'll take heat for this) like those manufactured by thorlo [http://www.Thorlo.Com/]. Dilute vinegar soaks are good as well. Dry the inside of your shoes by placing them up-side down over an air return vent at home overnight. If this doesn't make things better in a couple days, see a podiatrist.

In brief: To start with...

Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. David Hettinger

In brief: Most work well

Over the counter antifungal creams, powders, and sprays are very effective for athlete's foot, but recurrences are common.
For people with sweaty feet, it is important to allow your shoes to completely dry between wearings. If you wear the same pair of shoes every day, consider getting two pairs and alternating to allow them to dry completely.

In brief: Most work well

Dr. Shontae Buffington