Are cold sores really a form of herpes?

Cold sores are oral herpes sores.
Herpes simplex type 1 virus is the usual cause of oral herpes cold sores, but the type 2 (which usually causes genital herpes) can also cause cold sores on the lips.

Cold sores are oral herpes sores.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Cold Sores

As already stated by my colleagues, yes- cold sores are a form of herpes.
The only thing I would add to that, is that many patients and unfortunately some dentists confuse the term "canker sores" also known as aphthous ulcers (and not viral) with "cold sores."

In brief: Cold Sores

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Cold sores, yes

also known as fever blisters are pretty common and lots of people get them. Cold sores normally go away on their own within 7 to 10 days.

In brief: Cold sores, yes

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Richard Ruden
Dentistry

Cold sores are caused by a herpes simplex virus (hsv-1) closely related to the one that causes genital herpes (hsv-2).
Both of these herpes simplex viruses can affect your mouth or your genitals, and can be spread via oral sex.

Dr. Richard Ruden
Dr. Richard Ruden
Dr. David Voron
Dermatology

In brief: See below

A "cold sore" is a lay term for a herpes infection of the lip.

In brief: See below

Dr. David Voron
Dr. David Voron