What could cause a burning sensation under the skin on the back?

Dr. John Ebner
Dermatology

In brief: NotalgiaParesthetica

What you describe sounds like "notalgia paresthetica".
It is usually caused by irritation of nerve roots as they exit the spine. The most common problem is poor posture and slouching. I recommend postural exercises and muscle strengthening to my patients with this problem. It does work. To be certain of what you are experiencing, i would see a dermatologist or your pcp first.

In brief: NotalgiaParesthetica

Dr. John Ebner
Dr. John Ebner
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: Neurodermatitis

An itchy back without a rash can be caused by a irritated small nerve fiber .
The condition is called notalgia parasthetica. There is no test to diagnose this condition. It can be treated with topical medications or localized injections.

In brief: Neurodermatitis

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried