Why does skin peel after a sun burn?

Repair. Sunburn is an injury and a new layer replaces the damaged layer. It is the damaged layer tha is peeling off.Allow itvto peel naturally. Do not peel it off prematurely.
Dead skin. The top layer of skin has been so badly damaged by the radiation exposure from the sun that it's integrity is compromised. This is VERY bad for your skin and increases your chance of skin cancer. Check out this excellent website: https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/sunburn/
radiation injury. A sunburn is due to radiation from the sun causing damage to the superficial layers of the skin. Too much radiation can damage the underlying layers which then push the superficial most layer (epidermis) away from the nutrition below it. This superficial epidermal layer then dies and peels away. Never pull these peeling layers as they are attached deeper and you will injure the deep laye.