At what temperature do third degree burns occur?

Dr. David Hardin
Wound care

In brief: It varies a lot

This depends on the source of the heat, temperature and duration of contact.
One reference quotes the following: hot water causes third degree burns… …in 1 second at 156º …in 2 seconds at 149º …in 5 seconds at 140º …in 15 seconds at 133º the very young and elderly are more suceptable.

In brief: It varies a lot

Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin

In brief: Complicated Answer

The "degree" of a burn refers to the depth of tissue destruction.
A 3rd degree burn involves full thickness injury to the epidermis and dermis. While tissue damage starts at around 44 c (111.2 f), other factors such as length of contact are important. I.E. Higher temperatures can create more damage faster. In addition to heat, chemicals, electricity, and radiation can also cause burns.

In brief: Complicated Answer